Or maybe I am!
The awkward way that the sun is shining today, has my heart thinking of a rich and hearty salad. My head is saying, let’s have some gypsy soup to soothe the soul...and keep our bellies warm. (this soup will be making its appearance on the blog soon!)
Do you listen to you heart or head more?!
Today the heart won and salad was made!
I just love how easy it is to make a MASON JAR salad. Have you given this method a try?
They are super convenient and a very healthy option for those of us that are always on the go!
Here is an easy way to construct your own mason jar salad: 1. Dressing First – (recipes will follow)
2. Veggies that respond well to marinating in the dressing. Vegetables such as onions, peppers, cucumbers, mushrooms, squash , carrots, celery, and broocoli will work great!
3. Moisture- resistant veggies- think corn, tomatoes, avocado
4. Protein- such as hard boiled eggs, chicken, turkey, lean ground meat, veggie burgers, tofu, tempeh, beans ( black, kidney, chick) -think buffalo chicken, grilled chicken, taco meat, marinated tempeh or tofu
5. Greens- spinach, spring mix, kale, romaine
6. Toppings- such as fruit, nuts, cheese, dried fruit etc
7. Once your salad is completed in the jar- keep it in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy.
I can keep my salads for about 3-4 days without any problems.
The fun part comes when you are ready eat your salad- shake the jar to distribute the dressing. Once you are done shaking, pour the salad into a big plate and eat up.
Many of the grocery store salad dressings are full of all sorts of questionable ingredients these days—not to mention excess fat, sugar, and sodium.
Use these recipes to whip up your own and feel good knowing exactly what’s in them, plus enjoy incredible essential oil flavor. The best part? These homemade salad dressings will be ready in less time than it takes to heat up that frozen burrito.
•Sweet and Tangy Balsamic Vinaigrette• Ingredients 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 2 teaspoons honey 4 drops Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, or Orange Vitality™ essential oil 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Directions Whisk all ingredients together until well combined. Pairs well with fresh basil, Roma tomatoes, grilled chicken and mozzarella balls.
•Simple Vinaigrette• Ingredients 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 1 teaspoon honey ¼ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon ground mustard 1 tablespoon grated onion 2 drops Lemon Vitality™ essential oil 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Directions Whisk all ingredients together until well combined. Pairs well with mixed green salad, chicken, parmesan, and walnuts.
•Ginger-Honey Soy Dressing• Ingredients 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced 1 tablespoon honey 2 tablespoons soy sauce 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 drops Ginger Vitality™ essential oil Directions Whisk all ingredients together until well combined. Pairs well with Napa cabbage, chicken, green onions, mandarin oranges, peanuts, and sesame seeds.